things to do
Activities and Local Attractions
There are many activities and sites to visit around the local area, as well as further afield if you feel like exploring. We have recommended some activities and some local amenities you may find useful. Just click on each one to find out more!
WHAT TO DO
Those pleasure fishing for the Roach, Rudd, Tench & Perch present in the lake can do so FOC during their entire stay.
No licence required. Basic Tackle available FOC to guests.
Carp Fishing on the lake.
Unfortunately 2 carp caught recently in the lake were badly treated.
A 17kg fish died.
A 22kg/48.5lb fish only survived due to our neighbours insisting that the fish be returned to the water.
This fish had been kept out of the water for 30 minutes + so that it could be weighed / photographed.
All fish must be returned to the water in 5 minutes or less.
Failure to adhere to the above rule will result in you being prevented from continuing to fish in the lake.
General Points for the protection of the Carp:
- 5 weeks only per annum reserved for dedicated carp anglers.
- Maximum 2 rods/angler. 4 rod limit on the lake.
- Barbless hooks only.A landing net, unhooking mat, cradle & weighing sling + scales will be provided FOC so as to prevent any disease transmission from the UK.
- No night fishing. Dawn to dusk only. No Bivvies.
- Only 2 days’ fishing for carp per week’s stay permitted.
- Those anglers wishing to fish for more than 2 days for carp will have to pay, in advance, a 300 Euros per angler surcharge.5 carp limit per angler per week.
Many local trails
- Centre Equestre Montaubert a Fougeres, Parc de Montaubert, 35300 Fougeres. Tel. 06 61 85 13 25 www.centre-equestre-fougeres-fr. (25 km.30mins)
- Ecole d’Equitation de la Bauchetiere, 35420 Saint Georges de Reintembault Tel. 06 76 29 24 09 www.equidome.fr (15 mins.)
- St. Hilaire Riding School & Agricultural College. Le Centre Equestre du Manoir. www.lycee-agricole-de-la-baie-du-mont-saint-michel.fr/centre/equestre
1. Chateau du Bois Guy, Parigne Driving range & 9-hole course opened in 2018. Tel. 02 99 97 34 60 www.bois-guy.fr (10 mins)
2. Golf des Rochers (18 holes) 35500 Vitre Tel. 02 99 96 52 52 www.vitre-golf.com (30/40 mins.)
3. Golf des Ormes, Chateau des Ormes (18 holes) 35120 Dol-de-Bretagne Tel. 02 99 73 54 44 www.lesormes.com/fr/golfetresort (45 mins.)
Several good local restaurants in Louvigne, Fourgeres, Ducey and Parigne.
Be sure to try the local cider, crepes and galettes (pancakes). Great seafood and shellfish. Succulent Cancale oysters. Lobster, shrimps, mussels. Tender lamb from salt marshes. Tasty local delis.
1. The nearest restaurant is 1.5 km. from the end of our access lane in Monthault. Weekday lunchtimes only –basically a transport café French style. Auberge des Rochers 12E for 3 courses, drinks included.
2. Louvigne – La Tour de Pizz.
0033(0)2 99 98 05 03. Good pizzas. Good steak & chips. Excellent value, however it gets busy at weekends, so we recommend booking. Takeaways are also available.
3. Louvigne – M.Coquelin. Traiteur/Boucherie/Charcuterie.
0033(0)2 99 98 01 20.
Super butcher but expensive. Does reheatable takeaways. Special on a Saturday is often Paella.
4. Louvigne – Relais de la Gare. Similar to the first option. Popular at lunchtimes.
5. Parigne – Bar/Tabac opposite side of road to Mairie. Similar style to option 1.
6. Near Parigne – Chateau du Bois Guy.
0033(0)2 99 97 34 60. Very expensive. Booking essential. 9 hole golf course – opened October 2018.
7. Ducey. Auberge de la Selune. www.selune.com 2 rue St. Germain. 0033(0)233485362 Well thought of locally. Good food, sensible wine list, reasonably priced. Lovely setting by the river Selune.
8. Fougeres. Le Haute Seve – fine dining-expensive.
0033(0)2 99 94 23 39.
La Duchesse Anne. Creperie under the castle walls. Galette saucisse is the local favourite. 0033(0)2 99 99 60 79
Himilaya – Indian. Has had good reviews. 0033(0)2 23 51 49 53.
70 Rue Pinterie. Road leads down to Castle.
Au Cellier – 0033(0)2 99 97 20 50.
Good French style food well presented.
Restaurant Le Bretagne.
0033(0)2 99 99 04 70. Looks good.
Angkor –Thai/Vietnamese. 25 Avenue Francois Mitterand.
0033 (0) 2 99 94 26 50
Le Djerba – Algerian/Cous Cous. 30 rue du Tribunal.
0033(0) 2 99 94 75 45
9/ St. James – Cafetaria des Estuaires : next to Super U. Useful if visiting nearby knitwear factory. High quality knitwear with a nautical theme.
If you eat at any of the above , or other restaurants, please let us have your comments – good or bad.
We can also recommend restaurants in Cancale & St.Malo.
If you need driving directions, please ask.
Mont –Saint-Michel – Unesco World Heritage site (40 mins.)
St. Malo – Walled city, rampart walk, cafes, restaurants, shops, Aquarium (1 ¼ hrs.)
Dinard – Stylish beach resort (1 ¼ hrs.)
Dinan – Medieval river port (1 ¼ hrs.)
Cancale – Picturesque harbours/centre for oyster production , overlooking Baie du Mont-Saint-Michel (1 hr.) Numerous seafood restaurants/kiosks selling shellfish.
Parc Floral de Haute Bretagne, Chatellier – 50-acre country park – themed gardens (20 mins.)
Combourg – Beautiful chateau (1 hr.)
Fougeres – Massive 13th century fortress – largest medieval castle in Europe + shops & restaurants (30 mins.)
St. Hilaire -du-Harcouet – Typical French market on Wednesday mornings + supermarkets Leclerc, Lidl, Aldi (15/20 mins.)
Granville – Classic links golf course + beaches (50 km).
Iles Chausey – Day trips via Granville.
Vitre – Historic heritage town – medieval streets (40 mins.)
Louvigne-du-Desert – Local town 5 km. (10 mins.) – Super-U supermarket, bakers, butchers, etc. Friday morning market.
Monet’s Garden, Giverny
Rennes – cosmopolitan capital of Brittany – host to many festivals (1 ¼ hrs.)